Hungary’s OTP Bank has signed a share sale and purchase agreement to acquire Slovenian lender Nova KBM and its subsidiaries.

As agreed, OTP Bank will purchase 100% shareholding of NKBM and its units from European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and funds managed by Apollo Global Management affiliates.

Currently, the affiliates of Apollo Global Management own 80% in the Slovenian lender and its units. The remaining 20% is with EBRD.

However, the financial details of the transaction were not divulged.

Nova KBM is said to be the second largest Slovenian bank with a market share of 20.5% by total assets. The lender is active in retail and corporate segments.

The deal is expected to close in the second quarter of next year, subject to necessary regulatory approvals.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

In a separate statement, Nova KBM also confirmed the deal.

“At present, this has no impact on clients and Nova KBM continues to operate as usual,” it added.

OTP Bank is one of the largest financial service providers in Central and Eastern Europe. It has completed several acquisitions in the recent years to bolster its international footprint.

The lender currently operates in Albania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Romania, Serbia, Ukraine, Russia, Moldova, Montenegro and Slovenia via its subsidiaries.

In November last year, Belgian banking group KBC acquired the Slovakian arm of OTP Bank. The move made KBC Bank the new parent company of OTP Banka Slovensko.