Taiwanese financial firm Cathay Financial has terminated an agreement to acquire Bank of Nova Scotia’s Malaysian unit Bank of Nova Scotia Berhad (BNSB).

In a regulatory filing to the Taiwan Stock Exchange, the company said that it decided to scrap the deal as some conditions in the agreement could not be closed before the timeline.

Last year, Cathay Financial agreed to acquire the Malaysian unit of Bank of Nova Scotia through its subsidiaries Cathay United Bank and Cathay Life in a deal valued $225m, Reuters reported.

Under the terms of the agreement signed at that time, Cathay United Bank was about to own 51% stake in BNSB while Cathay Life would hold the remaining 49% interest.

The company said that the two parties had time up to 30 April to agree on the deal terms.

Earlier in 2016, another Taiwanese institution CTBC Financial Holding was also unable to complete an acquisition deal in Malaysia.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

CTBC’s deal to acquire 100% stake in Royal Bank of Scotland Berhad, a subsidiary of Royal Bank of Scotland, also failed.