First National Bank (FNB) is to roll out 1,250 NCR automated self-service teller units to remote regions without branches in South Africa.

The NCR manufactured Self-Serv 4, dubbed the "Slimline ATM" by FNB, allows customers to interact with their bank and make transactions without travelling to a branch.

Aziz Cassim, head of self service delivery at FNB, said: "We developed this as a unique technology to address access to banking in a way that deepens functionality and brings full digital banking to our remote sites.

"In the process, we created a unique ATM designed specifically for emerging market and lower income needs. This slimline ATM also has great potential across all our market segments from personal to business and commercial due to its deep digital banking ability."

According to NCR research, 90% of bank tellers’ time is taken up with basic transactions and account maintenance, leaving just 10%for interaction with customers.

FNB and NCR claim that automating many of these basic processes will allow tellers to dedicate more time to customer service. It will also save money, as self service transactions can cost up to 75% less than teller transactions.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Percy Thavier, manager at NCR South Africa, said: "Banks continue to look for innovative solutions to modernize and improve the efficiencies of their retail banking channels.

"With NCR financial kiosks, FNB is taking a dramatic step toward developing a branch channel optimized for customer service."


Related articles

Mobile Money reaches 1m South Africans

First National Bank buys Finance Bank Zambia for $5.5m