Eastern Virginia Bankshares, the parent of EVB, has agreed to merge with Southern National Bancorp of Virginia, the parent of Sonabank, in a deal valued at about $178.3m.

The merged entity will have about $2.4bn in total assets, $2bn in total deposits, and $1.8bn in total loans, and have 47 branches across markets in Maryland and Virginia, including the Washington, D.C. and Richmond, Virginia MSAs. 

It will have corporate headquarters in McLean, Virginia and bank headquarters in Richmond, Virginia.

Shareholders of Southern National will hold a stake of about 51.4% in the combined group, while the remaining 48.6% will be owned by Eastern Virginia shareholders.

Joe Shearin, currently president and CEO at Eastern Virginia, will lead the combined group as president and CEO.

Southern National chairman and CEO Georgia Derrico will join the merged company as executive chairman, while Southern National vice chairman and president R. Roderick Porter ll join the combined entity as executive vice chairman.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

The deal already secured the approval of the board of directors of both companies. It is expected to be completed during the second quarter of 2017, subject to shareholders’ and regulatory approvals.

Commenting on the merger, Derrico said: "We believe this is a unique opportunity to combine two very different organizations in order to become an even stronger Virginia based organization with a diverse retail franchise and a dynamic lending based platform. We have known Joe Shearin for over nine years. 

“Through our mutual investment in Southern Trust Mortgage, which has been a tremendous success, we have developed a strong confidence in one another's judgement and banking capabilities. We look forward to operating a much larger organization in a cost effective way to increase profitability and shareholder value."